It is never easy to become a project manager. From making project documents to managing deliverables, putting together teams, allocating resources, conducting meetings, and strategizing, project managers have their hands full with tasks for handling all the nitty-gritty aspects of a project.
Project Management is described as the science and the art of converting big ideas into more concrete and solid results. It is the application of methods, skills, processes, experience, and knowledge to attain project objectives based on project acceptance criteria within an agreed parameter. It includes recognizing and identifying the lifestyle that will be used, using it in the design process, creating a project management team, and effectively guiding the team through the process until project completion.
Project management, unlike ordinary management, has final deliverables constrained to a set budget and timescale. This is why project managers should have a wide set of skills, usually technical skills, good business administration, and awareness.
The MBA in Project Management is a unique, intensive degree program designed to give graduates the skills and knowledge required to excel in a project-focused environment. It combines academic instruction with practical experience to provide the background necessary to lead successful projects in the ever-changing business world.
At A Glance
Project management is one of the central components of achieving a successful business strategy. In a report from the Project Management Institute (PMI), roughly 60% of organizations rank creating project management as the top priority in their plans. 80% of companies assert that project management was the very reason they were able to weather last decade’s economic recession.
For those who love directing others in leading a good project, consider online MBA programs in project management. With these MBA programs, you will gain the foundation of a master’s degree in business administration with a concentration on problem-solving and leadership.
An MBA in Project Management offers opportunities for actual experience in the field. As students complete and benefit from core business courses in marketing or finance analysis, they can also focus on result-specific courses like cost and time management that emphasize oversight and execution.
The 14 Best Online MBA in Project Management Schools
Fayetteville State University
Online MBA in Project Management
Fayetteville State University, located in Fayetteville, North Carolina, is a historically black university and is part of the University of North Carolina System and the Thurgood Marshall College Fund.
This public university aims to provide the best education to its enrollees through a basic liberal arts foundation, graduation programs, and specialized professional training. Accredited by SACSCOC, the school offers Bachelor’s degrees in 43 areas, master’s degrees in 23 areas, and one doctoral degree in educational leadership.
FSU offers an elite online MBA in Project Management through the Broadwell College of Business and Economics. This program is designed to prepare both working professionals and students to complete the present and expected needs of organizations.
- The program focuses on the roles that the project management program plays globally.
- This also provides a future project manager with the leadership skills and knowledge needed to be an effective leader.
- After completing this project management online MBA program, students are now prepared to be a part of the vibrant community in project management and can pursue a certification as a Project Management Professional.
- This online MBA project management degree has 39 credit hours (27 credits for the core classes and 12 credits for the four electives.
City University of Seattle
Online MBA Degree with a Focus on Project Management
Northwest Commission on Colleges & Universities-accredited, the City University of Seattle is headquartered in the Belltown area of downtown Seattle. They also have campuses worldwide: in Canada, China, the Czech Republic, Mexico, Slovakia, Switzerland, and Vietnam. The school is recognized as a leading educator of adults nationwide.
The school’s elite School of Management provides students the chance to earn a fully online MBA degree with a focus on Project Management.
- This program suits those who yearn to become successful project management professionals.
- This is open to anybody with an undergraduate degree who dreams of helping organizations realize ways to improve and grow their business.
- This online MBA program focuses on project management techniques, business analytics, strategic management, organizational behavior, supply chain management, and other relevant project management skills.
- Online MBA students at the City University of Seattle will also focus on emerging business challenges like:
- design thinking for innovation
- utilizing self-cultivation
- law and governing the modern business
- digital marketing and analytics
- currency of trust
- financial management and control
- ethics and social impact
- data-driven decision making
- the art of creative thinking
- This program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
Application to the program is relatively simple. The school only requires students to fill out the application form online and send their official transcripts directly to the university. GMAT scores are not required. Students can also be eligible for the Prior Learning Assessment Program, which allows their work experience to be counted towards credit hours.
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
Online Project Management MBA Degree
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is a public university in Whitewater, Wisconsin, and is part of the University of Wisconsin System. UWW offers 47 undergraduate majors and 13 graduate programs. Out of all the four-year campuses in the UW System, the combined tuition and room/board, and fees at UWW are the lowest.
UWW Online offers its online Project Management MBA degree, designed for those who are working with full schedules but still want to earn their graduate degree.
- This online graduate school is open to all students, regardless of their undergraduate studies. Students are not required to have any undergraduate business experience to be eligible in this project management field.
- The online MBA project management focuses on a curriculum that provides learners with the needed skills to improve their productivity at their workplace.
- This master’s in business administration program includes both real-world skills and theoretical knowledge that is highly in demand in today’s workplace.
- To complete this MBA concentration, students complete three courses (nine credits).
- For a closer look at the subject, students can earn the Project Management Graduate Certificate. It includes five courses (14 credits) that can be completed entirely online.
- Just like any project management education, this graduate course will count toward the 35-hour education requirement for earning a Project Management Professional certification from PMI, and 23 education hours for PMI’s Certified Associate in Project Management Certification.
- Classes of students holding a PMP certification are counted towards the professional development units (PDUs) needed to maintain the certification.
This online project management education is aligned with the Project Management Body of Knowledge guide to ensure students receive only the most up-to-date training for this field of higher education.
Mississippi State University
Online Project Management Program
Mississippi State University in Starkville, Mississippi, was originally called Mississippi State University for Agriculture and Applied Science. MSU hosts 12 colleges and schools and offers more than 180 baccalaureate, graduate, and professional degree programs. The school is also the only accredited school for programs in veterinary medicine and architecture in Mississippi.
Mississippi State University is keen on helping its students improve their business and project management skills through its online MBA in Project Management.
- The program is accredited by the AACSB while offering minimal tuition rates— from $15,000 to $19,000.
- Core business courses include business development analysis, strategic business consulting, and corporate financial management, among others.
- Like most project management MBA online programs, this degree includes two additional courses to help deepen the understanding of students in this in-demand field.
- Admission to the MBA programs at Mississippi State University is very competitive. Those who do not hold an undergraduate degree in business administration are required to comply with some prerequisite courses and basic foundations after admission.
The online MBA programs at MSU require six hours of electives in the student’s chosen program. The College of Business has elective courses, although other courses may be used.
Online Project Management MBA Program
Located in Center Valley, Pennsylvania, DeSales University is a private Catholic university that offers traditional, online, and hybrid programs and courses at both the graduate and undergraduate levels. Rooted in the Salesian spiritual values of St. Francis de Sales, the school embraces students of all faiths and fosters a community of open intellectual inquiry.
The regional accreditation of the school is by the Middle States Association of Colleges & Secondary Schools. Its business administration and other business-related programs are accredited by the ACBSP.
The Division of Business at DeSales University offers a well-respected online Project Management MBA degree.
- Students can choose either the online or on-campus format. Still, both MBA concentration gives online students the risk assessment skills and the execution and planning skills that are required to guide projects and workflows to successful completion.
- DeSales University not only provides online students with unparalleled flexibility and superior personal service. Advisers are ready to work with students from the application process down through graduation.
- The goal of the program is to deliver an educational experience to produce knowledgeable and ethical leaders ready to take on the tough jobs of project management positions.
- Distance learners will have core MBA courses that cover business computing, business and society, financial management, resource management, engineering management, and business computing.
- The US News & World Report places DeSales University at #126 on their ranking for the Best Online Business Programs.
Online Project Management MBA
Headquartered in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Herzing University is a private university with several other locations throughout the United States. Students have the option to attend any of the nine ground campuses in seven US states or earn their degree online.
The online campus carries the same regional accreditation (Higher Learning Commission) as the physical campus locations. One of the online programs at Herzing University is the online Project Management MBA.
- MBA students can complete this 33-36 credit program online.
- The program’s core courses prepare students for management and professional experience, as well as planning jobs in various enterprises.
- Distance learners will have a thorough understanding of resource management, operations management, business leadership, and project initiation.
- This career-focused curriculum hones the communication skills and other relevant knowledge required of MBA students to succeed.
- Following the core courses, other MBA-centered courses follow, including Project and Operations Management, Technology and Innovation, and Leadership and Organizational Behavior.
- Students can explore Project Management concentrations by enrolling in three more courses on the subject.
- This higher education program can be completed in just 12 months on a full-time basis.
- The program includes certifications in PMI-CAPM for those who intend to take the exam.
Colorado Technical University
Online MBA with a Concentration in Project Management
Colorado Technical University is a higher education institution based in Colorado Springs, Colorado. This private for-profit university offers undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral degrees, primarily in business, management, and technology.
CTU has over 80 undergraduate and graduate degree programs and concentrations, with students having the option to enroll on campus or online, all working towards their goal of earning nursing degrees, tech degrees, business degrees, accounting degrees, and many more.
More than 90% of Colorado Technical University students are enrolled in distance learning programs. Through its School of Business and Management, Colorado Technical University offers its online MBA with a concentration in Project Management.
- This project management specialization covers the nine knowledge areas specified by the Project Management Institute in the PMBOK Guide.
- This higher education curriculum is designed to collaborate business core courses with the practices and theories of project management.
- In the capstone course, students will have the chance to indulge in a real-life project management experience where they get to create a project plan and demonstrate their knowledge of project integration and project management with the use of project management software to manage time, costs, and resources.
- This MBA in project management is ACBSP-accredited.
- The courses integrate with Intellipath, CTU’s propriety application, where coursework is customized according to the student’s knowledge level.
Ferris State University
Online Project Management MBA Degree
With its main campus located in Big Rapids, Michigan, Ferris State University is the ninth-largest institution of higher education in the State of Michigan. This public university enrolls over 10,000 on its main campus, at one of its 19 off-campus locations, or online. Associate’s and bachelor’s degrees are offered through FSU’s eight academic colleges and graduate degrees from six.
According to the US News & World Report, Ferris State University is “less selective.” For the class of 2025, it received 10,480 new applications and accepted 8,884 (84.8%).
Those who are looking for a reasonably priced MBA in project management can take advantage of what FSU has to offer. The online project management concentration is ACBSP-approved. Ferry State’s online Project Management MBA degree is 100% online.
- Unlike most project management programs that start with a thorough understanding of the field, FSU starts with self-paced foundation courses in Statistics, Marketing, Accounting, and Economics.
- Core requirements for this project management concentration include Global Project Management, Managerial Economics, Corporate Finance, and Business Strategy and Innovation.
- Students in this MBA project management degree can also take three elective courses.
- The US News and World Report listed FSU’s online MBA as #126 among the Best Online MBA Programs and #50 for Best Online Student Support Services.
- Once these project management classes are completed, students are prepared to complete top industry certifications, including the PMP and CAPM certifications. They will be ready for project management careers in one of today’s fastest-growing job paths.
East Carolina University
Online MBA with a Certificate in Project Management
East Carolina University, located in Greenville, North Carolina, is a public research university offering more than 100 undergraduate degrees and almost 75 master’s programs, including those in the education and business fields and a handful of online programs.
The school is the fourth-largest university in North Carolina, with a yearly student enrollment of roughly 30,000. ECU’s regional accreditation is the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
ECU’s College of Business offers a 100% online MBA with a Certificate in Project Management. Accredited by the Association of Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, this program is perfect for students who wish to earn their graduate degree from the comfort of their homes.
- This online MBA covers all the project management tools, skills, and techniques needed to prepare students for a non-profit, start-up, or global corporation.
- This project management specialization starts students out on their coursework path. Most of the curriculum offers waivers for students who have prior academic experience.
- Through this business education MBA, graduate students will comprehensively learn more on relevant courses, including Financial Management, Organizational Behavior, and Marketing Strategy.
- Like most online project management degrees, electives are also offered in this MBA program based on the Project Management Body of Knowledge.
Currently, the US News and World Report recognizes East Carolina University at the 90th spot on its list of the best online MBA programs in the US. ECU also ranks #89 for its online student services.
University of Louisiana at Lafayette
Online Project Management MBA Degree
The University of Louisiana – Lafayette is a public research university located in Lafayette, Louisiana. Within the nine-campus University of Louisiana system, this campus has the largest enrollment and the second-largest in the entire Louisiana, following Louisiana State University. The school offers over 240 majors, minors, and concentrations, delivered traditionally and online.
An online Project Management MBA degree is offered as a 15-month program.
- This online MBA program has gained the approval of the AACSB.
- The program is offered through the BI Moody III School of Business Administration.
- This MBA in project management requires 33 credits to complete.
- Eight-week courses of this business education online MBA include core topics such as Marketing Management, Data Analysis, and Managerial Economics.
- Other project management courses in this program include Organizational Behavior and Leadership and Analytical Methods for Planning and Control.
- This project management online program will help students gain a solid footing in project planning, controlling, scheduling, performance measurement activities, and resource allocation.
- This online MBA will deepen students’ knowledge of analytics, marketing, and economics.
- Distance learners will be able to understand the practices and theories of organizational behavior relative to one’s individual behavior, leadership skills, and quality management.
- The tuition for this online MBA is $387.88 per credit. Students may also qualify for financial aid or can enjoy the university’s payment plan.
Online Project Management-Focused MBA Degree
Maryville University, located in Town and County, Missouri, is a private university founded by the Society of the Sacred Heart. The school offers more than 90 degrees at the undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral levels. Students from nearly all 50 states and 47 countries. The school is Higher Learning Commission-approved, and an active member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Maryville University’s Simon School of Business established an online Project Management-focused MBA degree at a very reasonable price point.
- The project management courses in this program can be completed in just one year and have six start times every year.
- This online MBA degree focuses on the different aspects of the field. This includes enterprise planning and control, supply chain management, and process and operations management.
- Maryville University’s online MBA in project management degree has world-class professors and a user-friendly learning platform that is crucially designed to work around every student’s schedule.
- This online business education program also comes with dedicated 24/7 technical assistance so students can get the support they need.
- At present, this online MBA is recognized as #158 on US News and World Report’s Best Online MBA Programs.
- The Simon School of Business is accredited by ACBSP.
Florida Institute of Technology
Online MBA Degree with a Specialization in Project Management
Florida Institute of Technology is a private research university located in Melbourne, Florida. It holds regional accreditation through the SACSCOC and is noted for its concentration on engineering and science.
Florida Tech has more than 200 undergraduate and graduate degree and certificate programs in engineering, science, business, aeronautics, psychology, and liberal arts.
The Bisk College of Business is also highly recognized. It offers an online MBA degree with a specialization in Project Management.
- This is one of the few project management education programs accredited by the highly respected International Accreditation Council for Business Administration (IACBE) and Project Management Institute’s Global Accreditation Center.
- This MBA in project management is very thorough, with 36 credit hours in length.
- On top of the business and project management courses, online students will also receive pre-approved contact hours. They can use these as part of the eligibility requirement for taking the credential examination of the Project Management Institute.
- Some of the courses in the program include Essentials in Business Development, Mastering Project Management, Marketing Management, Risk Management, and Project Management Tools and Techniques.
To apply to this noted MBA project management university, students need to submit their online application together with their official transcripts. GRE/GMAT scores are no longer required to enter the degree.
University of North Alabama
Online Project Management Master of Business Administration Program
The University of North Alabama is the state’s oldest university. This public university, located in Florence, Alabama, is regionally approved by the Southern Association of Colleges & Schools Commission on Colleges.
UNA offers 219 bachelor’s degree programs and concentrations, 45 master’s degree programs, three education specialist degree programs, one doctoral program, and four micro-credentials.
Students who plan to advance their careers can earn UNA’s online Project Management MBA, the biggest MBA program in the entire state.
- MBA students at the University of North Alabama will have the advantage of being a part of the biggest MBA program in the entire state of Alabama.
- While the program is offered online, students can still benefit from the same AACSB-approved (Association of Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) curriculum as on-campus students.
- Some of the base courses include management policy, corporate financial strategy, global business, and foundations of business.
- Outside of the core courses, students can choose from different concentration options, such as Finance or Accounting.
Online Master’s of Business Administration – Specialization in Project Management
Located in the heart of Ohio, Ashland University is a private Christian university that encourages and values student individuality. With more than 70 programs at the associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels, students at Ashland University are offered a lot of educational paths to match their interests.
Ashland University offers a fully online Master’s of Business Administration with Specialization in Project Management.
- Online students can complete the program in as little as one year.
- The tuition for this online MBA program includes a free Verizon MiFi hotspot, so every student can complete their coursework conveniently, anywhere.
- This online project management program is accredited by the ACBSP.
- This project management online MBA not only covers business essentials. This also prepares students for the Project Management Professionals certification test.
- Some core courses include Foundations of Project Management, Advanced Topics in Communication Project Managers, and Increasing Organization Capacity in Project Management.
- University fees within this online MBA degree cover a year-long membership to the Project Management Institute and the Project Management Professionals Exam.
Frequently Asked Questions
What will I learn in an online MBA program for Project Management?
The best online MBA in project management program helps students become updated on all business essentials of e-commerce, economics, accounting, business law, and ethics. Basic business management work allows students to learn the field so they can hold their own in any board room.
On top of the core curriculum work, students will also go deeper into project management-focused courses. They will take classes in:
- Decision-Making and Ethics
- Communication and Procurement
- Project Scheduling, Estimating, and Budgeting
- Tools and Techniques
- Global Project Management
- Risk Management
- Sustainability Management
- Quality Issues
- Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity
Who benefits the most from the best online MBA programs in Project Management?
Because of the online feature of online programs, professionals who are currently working toward a career in project management can take advantage of this kind of setup. This is suitable for those who have impeccable time management skills and for those who can juggle their responsibilities at home, in class, and at work.
How vital is PMP Certification?
The highest and most recognized certification for project managers, the Project Management Professional certification, is a four-hour, 180-multiple-choice test exam. The PMP exam was made by project leaders for project leaders. Thus, each test question is related to real-life project management experience.
Professionals holding a PMP certification can use this as a competitive edge to climb the ladder and receive better pay increases. PMI said that, on average, those who hold this certification take home a 20% higher income.
How will earning an MBA degree in Project Management assist me in career advancement?
Earning an MBA degree in Project Management can help you stand out from the crowd and give you the competitive edge to progress in your career. With an MBA in Project Management, you’ll gain a deep understanding of project management and business principles, giving you the practical, organizational and finance skills you need to execute and manage large-scale projects.
By gaining a respected and recognized professional qualification, you can also strengthen your leadership and communication skills, which are essential in a global economy. The degree can also open up new job opportunities and help you gain a strong foothold in highly competitive industries.
Earning a master’s degree has become a crucial part of showing companies these days that you are ready and qualified to lead their organizations. Thankfully, most universities now offer MBA programs in hybrid and online formats for convenience. Through this method of delivery, busy working adult students can earn their MBA and still keep their work and home responsibilities. Most of these online programs are also made more affordable, making them positive investments for the future.
Before you go, see the following:
- The Best MBA in Project Management Career Paths – Job & Salary Information
- The Best MBA in Project Management Programs
- The Cheapest Online MBA in Project Management Schools
- Intro to Project Management: Free Online Course
Learn more – Check this out: